04 January 2009

Background

Welcome to my blog. I've finally decided to start this blog to document my experiences for 2009 regarding fitness and nutrition. Of course, other random topics of interest may turn up now and again but, hey - it's my blog.

While I thought my wife and I were leading a fairly healthy lifestyle; neither of us were overweight or sedintary and no major health problems, we decided in May of 2008 to change our eating habits. After reading Loren Cordain's "The Paleo Diet" (http://www.thepaleodiet.com/) and from discussion with our friend Jeff (http://ernoj.blogspot.com/), we realized that the USDA food pyramid (http://www.mypyramid.gov/pyramid/index.html) may not be the best way to eat.

In short, the USDA recommends a heavy portion of grains and carbohydrates in the Standard American Diet, while de-emphasizing meats. The agricultural staple in our diets came into vogue with the advent of the industrial evolution which allowed for cheap processed carbs. As time has passed, more harmful processed sugar such as high-fructose corn syrup has found its way into many foods readily consumed today. Simple carbohydrates have a detrimental effect on today's nutrition and we elected to eliminate them from our diet.

The results have been outstanding. I'm 5'10" and started out at 167# and close to 20% body fat. Within 3 months of following the Paleo Diet, I dropped 20lb. My weight bottomed out at 145lb (currently 150lb) and my body fat is now 10.5%. I've lost track of how much weight my wife has lost, and she wasn't big to begin with. She's had clothes altered more than once on our journey and some can not be altered anymore.

Anyway, the intent of this blog is to document my progress regarding fitness and nutrion, to discuss items of interest and to help others lead a healthier lifestyle.

1 comment: