29 January 2009

Various Updates

Several great posts by Jeff (http://ernoj.blogspot.com/2009/01/huge-in-hurry-and-2-very-good-posts.html) and Keith (http://theorytopractice.wordpress.com/2009/01/21/a-fantastic-pair-of-t-nation-articles/) got me thinking about mixing the routine up a bit based on the "Huge in a Hurry" protocol (http://health.msn.com/fitness/mens-fitness/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100220568).

Basic premise is to work the fast twitch muscles all the time and to stop the reps when you lose the snap. Take a brief rest and then pick it up again and crank out some more reps. I did this for a couple of workouts over the weekend and felt it in the following days. Still playing around with the proper weight that is challenging, but can still be moved quickly. I'm officially done with the stronglifts 5x5 routine; some gains, but was getting stale.

So today, I did an intermittent fast and cruised to the gym at lunchtime. At one point, there was only one other person in the gym and she was cruising slowly on some piece of cardio equipment. So I did 25 reps with various sets of:

Deadlifts: 135
Seated rows: 100
Lat pulldowns: 100
DB rows: 45
Mil presses: 50
Dips: unweighted but tried to catch air at the apex

Stopped by the local butcher on the way home and loaded up. Made beef Florentine for dinner. Ran out of pepper, and forgot to add the balsamic vinegar, but it turned out great anyway. Wolfed down three spirals + two servings of broccoli for dinner. One of my favorite dishes. Here's the sequence:



3 comments:

  1. Great pictures! Makes me want to make it now. Thanks for sharing and the shout out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks impressive. Nice photo shoot! What cut of beef is that? Is that provolone?

    I hear you on the stronglifts. Doing the same thing every workout gets boring rather quickly and leads to overuse.

    It looks like we are all trying out the waterbury recommendations. I've been doing the same protocol all week -> 25 reps and lifting fast. I've been supersetting two exercises (e.g cleans/chinups or front squat/db inclined press or deadlifts/pushups) aiming for 25ish reps on each exercise and lifting fast. It leads to a very good workout. I am still deciding if I will focus on this weeks workouts again next week (with more weight) or start one of HIAH's program. The "Huge" program uses a lot of pulley machines which I'm not keen on. It also uses things like curls and calf raises which seem like a complete waste of time to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark,

    I got about a 3 or 4 lb slab of meat that our butcher has to make steak tips. It is basically a flank-cut, but not called as such. And yes that is provolone + evoo + pepper. I usually marinate in balsamic and evoo for a few hours ahead of time, but didn't have the time yesterday to do that.

    HIAH - good acronym! I'm definitely feeling the burn and soreness more from HIAH. How much of that is solely due to change in protocol, I wonder. But I believe that we all have to mix it up and keep the body guessing what is coming: muscle confusion.

    It is almost like planned randomness. I like to go to the gym with a plan, just don't let the muslcles know what's coming. And those small muscle exercises? Yes I do them, but I view them as more of a polishing on finishing up the day's work.

    ReplyDelete