20 February 2009

5x5 Podcast

Superhumanradio had a good podcast (episode #264) regarding the 5x5 workout protocol (also referenced from stronglifts.com) that I tried toward the end of 2008. The featured guest was power lifter Jo Jordan. Jo's max personal bests are 650 bench, 720 deadlift, 1000 squat; friggin ridiculous. Jo also has a training log on elitefts.com.
  • basic premise is to perform 5 sets of 5 reps per exercise
  • rest about 90 seconds per set. Longer for strength, shorter for increased muscle growth(hypertrophy).
  • start with a weight you can do 8-10 reps. He mentions that you can calculate 1 rep max from a table like this one from critical bench.com.
  • recommends going up in weight when the 5 reps per all 5 sets can be easily done
  • increase weight by a total of roughly 5lb when moving up in weight
  • it is a good idea to deload to 70% of 1RM when gains stop
Personally, when I did this in 2008, I felt I had some gains, but the protocol gets routine after a while. It does get the body used to handling heavier weights. I think I added weight before easily getting 5x5 'easily'. Maybe in the coming months, I'll revisit this to change things up.

2 comments:

  1. Comical - check out the pic under bullet #6 on http://www.criticalbench.com/Jo-Jordan.htm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't we all do shrugs with 675?

    ReplyDelete