- basic premise is to perform 5 sets of 5 reps per exercise
- rest about 90 seconds per set. Longer for strength, shorter for increased muscle growth(hypertrophy).
- start with a weight you can do 8-10 reps. He mentions that you can calculate 1 rep max from a table like this one from critical bench.com.
- recommends going up in weight when the 5 reps per all 5 sets can be easily done
- increase weight by a total of roughly 5lb when moving up in weight
- it is a good idea to deload to 70% of 1RM when gains stop
20 February 2009
Superhumanradio had a good podcast (episode #264) regarding the 5x5 workout protocol (also referenced from stronglifts.com) that I tried toward the end of 2008. The featured guest was power lifter Jo Jordan. Jo's max personal bests are 650 bench, 720 deadlift, 1000 squat; friggin ridiculous. Jo also has a training log on elitefts.com.