12 February 2009

Thursday Update

Despite a sub-par lunch due to a meeting - where all the beverages were sugar-full, good time at the gym. In brief with 15/8/4 protocol:

Sprints, 30sec at 11, 12, 12.5 (x3) mph
40deg incline leg press 270/360/450
Squats: 135/155/185/205, felt like going for glory with 225, but no spot = bad idea
Seated calf raises: 45/70/100
Leg extensions: 70/85/100

Tried the spinach pesto with grilled chicken and eggplant. The pesto was very mild and topped the chicken nicely. Next time I may up the garlic and also add some pine nuts. Fried the eggplant in evoo and garlic. Here's how it turned out:

5 comments:

  1. I gotta try that pesto recipe. Maybe this weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy,

    Are those weights in lbs, on kgs.

    Like the look of those sprints - or rather, that looks a pretty tough set, but worthwhile if it gets results.

    Paul Anderson
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck going for 225 (pounds) Andy - I know you can do it becaue I did before I hurt my back.

    Oh, yeah, be careful not to hurt your back :) I am not doing back squats any more, only front and overhead for a while.

    Regarding spots, you need two spotters for squats. If you, Jeff and I ever get in the same gym at the same time we should do squats to failure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paul, as Richard noted, the weights are in lb. I'm only 5'10 / 150, so for me that's good. I'll never be a hulking monster.

    Richard, next time we're visiting Jeff, we'll have to hook up.

    -Andy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul,

    There are several reference to interval sprints in this blog, plus others. One blogger who has been discussing this recently is Matt Metzgar:
    http://www.mattmetzgar.com/matt_metzgar/

    Hope it helps.

    ReplyDelete