03 April 2009

Friday Update

148 on scale - been a tough week with a few cheats here and there.

That aside, there's been some recent posts on the Book "Body by Science" by Doug McGuff described by Jimmy Moore in his podcast, by Keith of TTP fame here in Part I and again here in Part II, and tried out by Jeff here. Basically it is a short, but wicked intense workout where repetitions are done at a painfully slow rate - emphasis on pain, meaning burn. Do one set and try to hit the whole body. No rest for the fatigued with constant muscle tension.

My reps were at a count of 10 mississippi down and 10 mississippi up. For the exercises, I did some leg presses, bench presses, military presses, curls, and seated rows. All done on universal machines to failure. The burn is ridiculus and several exercises I was shaking pretty good. And this was with fairly light weight. Didn't count reps to much except to note if I only got 3 or 4 or if it seemed like more than 10. Highly suggest doing these on a universal (which is a slight downside) so that reps can be done to failure. Upside is I was in and out of the gym in less than 30 minutes, shower included.

For dinner tonite, got a chance to man the grill, despite the drizzle. Grilled some lime-cilantro chicken. Preheated the grill on high for a few minutes, seared one side for 1 minute, flipped over - essentially searing the other side, then turned the heat down to low. Grilled for about 12-15 minutes per side and it turned out fully cooked yet super moist. Fantastic. Steamed some leftover green and yellow squash that I julienned. Had some chocolate and nuts for desert. Have to keep that in check, though.


4 comments:

  1. How did you find the machines? For me, some of the machines worked real well - solid tension thru out. Other machines weren't as good (rows for example) and I didn't feel like I got good constant tension.

    Dr. McGuff recommends Nautilus or Met-something-or-other. My gym doesn't have those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Food looks great. What is that side dish? It looks really tasty.

    I am hitting the slo mo w/o again this morning with Karen. Torture time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, you were so right about Keith's first review. The comments were amazing and insightful. Thanks for suggesting I go back and read it. Keith's 3D graph imagery really made it hit home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark, I'm not a big fan of universal or cybex machines since they have limited adjustment for ergonomics. They limit the range of motion but isolate target muscle groups. That aside, they did the job for yesterday's workout. I'm feeling the onset of muscle soreness especially in rhomboids (seated rows), pecs, and quads.

    I also noted with the universals that you have to maintain the muscle tension throughout. Even with the bench press, if you lock out at the top, it tends to give the muscles a minor break. Jeff made a good analogy to strive toward the sine wave type of movement where there is no rest at top or bottom.

    I think like all exercises, some are easier to achieve the burn then others. I'm always able to roast my legs. For chest and back, it is more difficult for me, but apparently I had some success since I am feeling it today. Conversely, doing curls I had a great burn, but am not feeling them so much today. Odd.

    Jeff - good luck with the short torture session with Karen. The side dish is 1 yellow and 1 green squash (or zucchini) that I julienned, then steamed. Next time I'll add some black pepper to top it off.

    ReplyDelete