25 July 2009

Lazy Saturday

I think I am finding out that nuts is my kryptonite. First off, I love the things - equal opportunity nut lover (excluding peanuts) as long as they are unsalted and unroasted. After a few weeks of giving them a break, the Tabita scale has been indicating a lower of body fat %. Took in several handfuls of cashews last nite and a bit of dark chocolate last nite and BAM, scale say 9.9% this morning. Coincidence? Hmm.

Anyway, ran a bunch of errands today that took longer than expected. Wanted to run the 5k hills course around the neighborhood, but I felt the need to take another day of rest. Lounged around and took a nap in the hammock on a perfect afternoon.

Earlier, though we visited a roadside farm stand that had pasture-fed beef, pork, veggies, etc. (Springdell Farm). Picked up two pounds of ground sirloin/hamburg and a pound of bacon. Will try that out and if we like it, will be hitting it more.

Found that place on farmfresh.org. Can just punch in your zip code and what you are looking for (poultry, beef, eggs, farmer's markets, etc.) and it will list places nearby. Will be exploring that more in the future.

2 comments:

  1. As you know, I am with you on the nuts. Trouble. Almonds are like Lay's potato chips - I can't just eat one.

    Did you see Primal Wisdom's post on them?
    http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2009/06/top-ten-problems-with-applying.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,

    Thanks for that link. I think I'll be book marking that one. But to his point, you have to wonder whether we were meant to eat nuts. Even Cordain only recommends only a hand full or two a day.

    Speaking of trouble, you know that Trader Joe's has almond butter? Don't mean to encourage you, but that + dark chocolate = a slightly more nutritious Reeces peanut butter cup.

    I think the best course of action is to not buy the stuff. Just like potato chips for example or some other vice. I know - easier said than done...

    ReplyDelete