29 September 2009

Some Food Pix

After getting some love from Marc at Feel Good Eating (Thanks Marc!), I feel obligated to post some recent food pix. Now Marc can cook and always has new ideas for Paleo-friendly meals; I'm just a hack. But if I can make some of this stuff, anyone can.

From this last weekend, we attended the local Schnizelfest. Stood in line for about an hour and a half for the following meal. Didn't mind; band playing, nice day out, etc. Although the wife almost got taken out by a large woman (240lb) who almost fell into us while slammin some Coke down. But that's a rant for another day.

Anyway, what we have here is going clockwise from nearest-beer location is knockwurst, bratwurst, sauerkraut, potato salad (with bacon - I swear I only had a taste), breaded & grilled schnitzel. Although the grilled schnitzel was overcooked and dry, the rest was pretty damn good. As a matter of fact, I cooked some brats on Monday to keep the Oktoberfest celebration going. Look for my attempt at schnitzel in the future.



Next we have some Ribeye with sauteed onions and peppers, caprice salad. In talking with the local food maven, he indicated that it is the acidic liquids like vinegar and lemon juice that really help to break meat down that makes it more tender. So I soaked the ribeye in some balsamic vinegar for 1+ days. Threw on grill via sear each side, then slow cook and viola! Was probably a pretty tender cut of meat to begin with, but damn near cut-with-a-fork tender.



Then there's today's standard Paleo fare: meat and veggies. Grilled steak tips and steamed broccoli. Been thinking more and more about making more of my own marinates. A lot of the store bought ones are just loaded with sugar. And this is also true of the pre-marinated stuff from the meat shop.

2 comments:

  1. Broccoli with a little cheese is one of the best things in the world. That looks so good!

    Making your own marinades is soooo easy. Just throw whatever flavors you like in a big bowl and toss the meat in there. I don't think you can really go wrong! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I'll have to poke around your site for some helpful suggestions. Seems like I've been stuck in a balsamic re-run for a while.

    ReplyDelete