01 October 2009

Embrace the Pig

I don't know why the pig is so maligned. Cloved foot? Bristled hide? Filthy habits? I don't know. But it tastes wonderful. Continuing the Oktoberfest celebration (in September) with some fried bratwurst and eggs. Bit of sauerkraut on the side. Not a bad combo, but some may not like the taste.


Continuing with the pig theme, I made a bacon meatloaf with steamed cauliflower. The bacon really makes the meatloaf. I really just shot from the hip on the recipe, and it turned out great. Here's the ingredients:

2lb grass-fed ground beef
1 small onion
8 mushrooms
1 bell pepper
(onion, mush, & pepper sauteed in butter before adding to meat)
6 strips of bacon, fried and crispy
2 shredded carrots
1 egg
1/4 cup of almond meal
mix and bake at 350 for about 50 min.


Finally the gym is clearing out. Must be the kids heading back to school or something. Walked in there at 3pm and there was 1 other person there (on the elliptical naturally). Went up in some weights via 15/8/4. Legs were still feeling the inroads from squatting 225 on Monday, so no run.

Surely as crappy choices last week made the weight go up, three straight days of puritan Paleo living have dropped 4. Picked up some veal patties today at the meat store so Schnitzel is coming!

3 comments:

  1. Your egg dish looks great! I had andouille sausage for breakfast yesterday myself. Sausages - yum!
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude!!!! I love the Pig and your recipes look awesome. My motto at home is "If you can't put bacon or bbq sauce on it, why bother making it?"

    have a great weekend

    MikeZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, I just saw andouille sausage at Trader Joe's tonite. I opted for their apple-smoked sausage and non-cured bacon instead. But next time...

    MikeZ, great line! The only thing that gives me pause about bbq sauce is the high sugar + HFCS content in a lot of that stuff, but I know you have good intentions.

    ReplyDelete