29 November 2009

Thanksgiving: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

One of the more interesting Thanksgiving breaks.

The Good:
- Actually lost 3 lb over the Thanksgiving break. Stayed pretty compliant paleo-wise and made a few meals for mom. She took us to a local veggie stand that was amazing. We picked up a bunch of stuff there. Here's a pic of about 1/3 of the stand, below.
- Weather was great in FL with highs in the 70's and 80's
- Managed to score some FAGE full-fat yogurt at the local Publix supermarket
- One day I went out for a run and got lost, but felt like I could run 10 miles. Ended up doing 3.5 in 25:50 according to mapmyrun.com.
- Caught up with the relatives and such.
- My 5 year old nephew powered down a whole turkey leg for dinner on Thanksgiving. Couldn't believe it. Maybe there is some Paleo promise there...

The Bad:
- yeah there were carbs-a-plenty to be had. I think I managed to only have a few nibbles and no pie or cake whatsoever.
- Funny, on the plane ride home, the snack choices were: cookies, peanuts, or pretzels. Why not just say "Carbs with sugar, carbs with bad oils, or carbs with salt". My wife asked if there was any fruit available and the stewardess looked at her like she was an alien.

The Ugly:
- sadly, we were involved in a traffic accident the afternoon after I went for a morning run. We were stopped at a light, but the guy behind us did not stop and slammed into mom's poor civic at approximately 35 mph. Had to go to the ER. Not fun. We're both feeling some residual soreness and pain. I'm just hoping there are no long term issues and that my mom gets everything squared away insurance-wise.

5 comments:

  1. Holy cow Andy! Is everyone ok??? That looks scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, still a bit sore, mainly neck and back. X-rays said nothing broken, but neck still feeling off. Hopefully, it is only temporary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh Andy, I'm sorry! I hope you feel all better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andy,
    sorry to hear that!! Florida drivers....a very scary and real threat.
    One of the only places in the world where you can get "front ended", meaning you are behind a car at a stop sign, and they back into you!!!
    Hope you and your wife recover very quickly. Keep the body moving....even if slowly.
    Marc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I could say I stayed on track on our trip down to FLA last week....foodwise we were trapped at Disney. I started out great, but by midweek, I was eating way more treats than I should. It's pretty amazing how a bit of sugar leads to more and more consumption and you quickly rationalize it as "on vacation". Very much like drinking beer - one leads to many and then boom.

    Today is day 1 of the dry out. Gonna be tough...

    ReplyDelete